Friday 6 November 2020

The royal portrait – twice.


Three siblings lined up behind the two chairs, dressed

in their Sunday best, in a time when we only had one best

and the rest were clothes for school or for mess.

On the two chairs, the eldest two siblings named after parents,

the two M’s, the eldest female the next male and perched,

newly crowned with a shock of black hair and eyes that stare

without understanding, a six-month-old me, the newest,

surveying his dominion without a care. Seven years pass

and the siblings line up again this time four, me on the end,

not the throne, that place now taken by the youngest

sitting as I once did on the lap of the eldest, staring

as I once did, without a care; my eyes, if you search

behind the curtain of a broad smile, seem certain that

what lies in the years ahead cannot be taken for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment