Thursday 5 November 2020

fuchsia magellanica

The bush that made bees

grew outside our front steps.

Three concrete steps

and depending on the mood

I had sat on each –

the first for gloom

the middle for talking

the third for summer nights

and star gazing –

 

beside the steps

the bush with odd flowers

that drooped,

began as tiny closed bags

that hung and grew and grew

fatter and fatter as if a caterpillar

grew inside

but I knew better,

someone had told me

or I had come to the fact on my own

each little parcel that dangled and expanded

contained a bee.

 

When I was not watching

never when I did and I did

the parcels would spring open

and the inside creature escaped capture

leaving behind a little flower

like a bush of tiny vases

stolen from some mother’s miniature kitchen.

 

The bush was the birthplace of the bees

that buzzed constantly around the bush

then spread from there out

to go gold digging

in the rest if mum and dad’s garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment