Tuesday 23 February 2021

rock formations:


 

Underworld shadows, the movement of a hand

it touched my brow, the fever

smells of ochre and the litany

we will be here forever sung

as rain and wind steal particles of faith

carry them to the water’s edge,

set them adrift a million tiny babes

seeking the lagoon of some Pharaoh’s daughter.

 

When I was young in solemn oath

I did swear the bible and all the words

and fear to be truth-telling, sister, sister

you smiled and knew that lagoon would call to me

as soon as the necessary year’s accumulated

here now I float, touch my hand

and imprint a thousand caverns

sing to ensorcell any daughter’s haven.

 

Inside, in the shadows and rivulets that run

with all the actions done

handprints glow, red patterns discerned

by closing eyelids exposed to bright hope

all the while the caves chew the years

hollow the space to receive the bones

the heart a geologist watching solid steps

become the mists of a new age.


No comments:

Post a Comment