Wednesday 13 May 2020

Deserted:


The empty streets haunt
place years upon my lungs
and my heart, fallow now
once verdant
once full of rabbits and weeds
of sunflowers standing tall and golden
smiling into the wind
singing in the rain,

untilled, quiet, a hush of years,
a weight of regretful actions –

I recall the evening
we fucked on the side of a country road.

It was dark
we were miles from nowhere,
young and full of ourselves –

and the question I have always wanted to ask
but of course
I did only know you that single night
and am never good with names…

the question remains,
would we have fucked
if that road wasn’t so unexpectedly long
the night so capably dark
and you had made choices different from
being in that place with me
a stranger
miles from home?

No comments:

Post a Comment