Saturday 9 August 2014

Book Launches

So soon I'll start planning/negotiating the book launch of Catalina and it got me wondering. What's the best way to do a book launch?

I've done three in book shops but the thing is, I think I've used my hired crowd a lot already (it helps having a large family to call upon).

Is there another way?

Perhaps standing on a street corner with a box of books and a pen (maybe a card table)  and doing a street book launch much like I used to do street poetry back in the 80's. It would certainly marry with my theatre background - an Impromptu Book Launch! Street Art — Literary Style.

Maybe set up a book launch outside the house - like the old lemonade stands. Books 5c. Signed 10c.

Advertise a Garage sale but have only my books?

Throw them at passers-by and plead my case? Sort of a terrorist Book Launch.

Put them in a boat and see where the Australian Government might take them? Of course secrecy might be the undoing of this idea. Who knows, they might end up in India without anyone ever knowing...or worse...In Canberra.

It is probably a shame I'm not Tony's daughter - a  book launch scholarship or a  PM's award would certainly help a book launch - or better still, have a Murdoch or two wanting something of me...then I'd be certain to be in all the papers.

Maybe there is a peptide for writers? Off to a back alley for several shots. Some arts scientist or two to work on my verb and adjective levels...some quick fix that bulges book sales until whole shelves topple over?

Any ideas?

What might work?

How to do a book launch bigger than Ben Hur on a budget smaller than Fearless Fly?

Or shall I simply go the same route again? Find a bookshop, plead my case, ring/email family and friends and maybe drink a red or two and pretend I know none of them?

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Or maybe I won't...

Maybe it'll be my little secret until WikiLeaks decides to get a hold of it...Maybe I need to go underground so that I reach great heights.

Food for thought...perhaps the germ of an idea...my next book...oh wait...that just means a vicious circle.... No writing tonight...I have a headache.




No comments:

Post a Comment