Saturday 16 March 2019

Guardian gone



Guardian gone 
(For Rilke’s angels) 

I have lost my angel 
I felt him there when I was young, 
guardian of mine — comforting one…  

of an evening as my head rested on the pillow, 
nostrils inhaling the sunshine  
the cotton had captured, 
I would feel the tips of wings touch, 
softer than a baby’s first thought, 

my forehead, I recalled the ocean 
smoothing sand each time it ventured forth… 
then back, then forth again. 

He once walked beside me,  
present as a stick held in the hand 
or a school bag slung across a shoulder, 
accepted and never consulted, 
a weight that lifted hours and words, 
helped me walk away home 
and reminded me to return. 

I cannot pinpoint the time 
or the place 
he was mislaid, only that 
one morning I discovered him no longer… 
when I considered the absence, I realized 
it had been so for many days. 

Winter arrives with the herald Dearth 
trumpeting silence and 
the sun’s growing distance 
no matter how often I stare at my remote reflection 
he will not return 

cannot 

he would no longer recognize me  
even if he was looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment