Friday 21 August 2015

The Accumulation of me


The accumulation of me


Hanging from life's scaffold, drifting back…
To the tree and then from tree to seed. The seed
Takes me to the warm, wet earth; to ferns
Chomped by the powerful jaws of giant reptiles
And eventually to the mother, the sea...

When they cut me down they wanted me to believe
The blue fairy had saved me. I stood firm -
Felt my feet in the earth of a million years ago,
The remains of the sea in the tears that welled -

I am not a product of the waved magical wand
But of the complex artistry of the double helix.

Life did not come cheaply, not for the seed
Nor the tree, not for the plankton
Nor the first pulse of the original single cell.

All steps on the evolutionary journey
To the point where I am able to maintain the place I am
By standing proud on my own two feet.


No comments:

Post a Comment